San Gimignano rises on a high hill about 300 m high and owes its name to the bishop of Modena who defended the village from the invasion of Attila.
Already inhabited in the Etruscan period, it had a prosperous development in the medieval period thanks above all to the Via Francigena that crossed it (and the cross), an important communication and trade route of the time; this meant that the city became a significant point of reference for traders, merchants and wayfarers but above all for the numerous faithful who went on pilgrimage to Rome.
After numerous struggles between the Guelphs and the Ghibellines, the government of the city was in the hands of the Ghibelline faction and it is precisely at that time that the greatest economic splendor was based, based on the trade of precious local agricultural products, including the precious and highly sought-after saffron; in the middle of 1200, however, the city was conquered by the Guelphs of Florence who destroyed the walls and other public works built by the enemy faction. Following the bloody battle of Montaperti in 1260 which saw the Ghibellines of Siena and the Guelphs of Florence opposed and won by the Sienese faction, San Gimignano returned under the Ghibelline rule which had the walls rebuilt and divided the city into 4 districts corresponding each to a of the main gates of the town: Piazza, Castello, San Matteo and San Giovanni.
San Gimignano is famous throughout the world for its towers (it seems that they have inspired the builders of the infamous twin towers of Manhattan) built precisely in the period of greater development and economic prosperity; the gentlemen had them erected to demonstrate all their power and the higher they were, the more it meant that the master was powerful. At the time there were 72 towers, the highest of which (and still is) was the "Torre del Podestà" also known as "Torre Grossa" which stood out with its 54 m height; today, on the other hand, there are only 16, the others have been torn down or partially destroyed during the bombardments of the world wars.
In 1990 San Gimignano was declared a cultural heritage of humanity by UNESCO.
Villa Podere Lo Spadino is located in the municipality of San Gimignano about 5 km from the historic center. San Gimignano is a small medieval town rich in charm, mystery and history that can be easily perceived walking through the picturesque alleys of the center that wind in the shadow of the imposing noble towers, the undisputed symbol of the city. It is located halfway between Siena and Florence, 35 km and 45 km respectively.